Uncovering the best of China’s Hainan Province.
- Hainan started a major push to put the tropical island on the tourism map
- They had a specific interest in showing the best of the capital Haikou
- They partnered with South China Morning Post as a publishing partner
- We created an upbeat piece featuring locals as they showcase a diverse side of Haikou
- The film was released on the SCMP channels and received thousands of views
Hainan is a small tropical island off the coast of China. In recent years, Beijing has pushed for the island to become a prime holiday destination with the goal to make it the Hawaii of China. Its capital Haikou is growing quickly to become a destination that mixes traditional Chinese culture with the best beaches in China.
Hainan is still distinctly Chinese. In terms of restaurants, bars and experiences there is very little to find online if you do not use WeChat and if you cannot read Chinese. We needed to present experiences for international travellers in a region that does not have a clear resource to find these.
We created the Hainan Creators film where we cast two Hainan locals to show off their home town. Together with them, we selected a range of unique places and experiences that would be interesting for visitors. From hipster cafés to local food experiences. The upbeat video covered a diverse range that would entice any visitor and that showed the spots only locals know about.